Re: Beep question of Icedove

On 3/23/07, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
Some spam makes it past Gmail's spam filter. Look in the spam folder in
the web interface to see how much doesn't. You should anyway do that
regularly because Gmail gets some false positives.

Gmail also counts spam towards your quota, and I've noticed it's
remiss in deleting spam over 30 days old, as it claims.

Back to the original topic, I've noticed apparently random beeping
from icedove as well.  I use gmail through the web interface, so
that's not the cause in my case.  I have a POP account, though, and it
might be something at the POP server that isn't related to new mail
arriving, but looks like a mailbox change.  I'm not really sure what
kind of per-message or per-mailbox state POP keeps, nor what's
considered beep-worthy by icedove.

I *do* know that changes to an IMAP folder that are just being seen
for the first time by a particular icedove instance cause a beep and
something akin to a "new messages" flag.  I know it's not actually
showing new messages, since I have icedove configured to make folders
with unread messages appear in red, and the color doesn't change, just
the folder icon.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh