Re: Older Software and Hardware (was Re: NVIDIA i2c adapter?)

David Baron wrote:
>>> Their "legacy" is for real old stuff. But since I can ignore the "error",
>>> I am in no rush to buy a new card. I wish venders that no longer wish to
>>> support a piece of hardware or software would release the specs and code
>>> to the opensource community. Those who have spare cash to always have the
>>> latest and greatest may enjoy this but I do not have the money. I bought
>>> the geforce because the ATI I had no longer worked DRI and the needed
>>> code was no longer updated for newer Xorg in Sid.
>>>
>>> I have an older pro sound card with no ALSA because the manufacturer
>>> keeps the needed data under lock and key. A reason why I still have
>>> windows 98 around. No drivers for anything newer. I like that card and do
>>> not like some of the newer ones that I could afford.
>> I agree with you.  Same could be said for Windows 98 and DOS.
>>
>> Your soundcard to me sounds like an Ultagravis.  Am I right?

> Dman2044. 44.1/16 CD quality and a nice chunky breakout box (rather than a
> mass of flimsy noisy connectors and cables.
> Their Delta series is a different chip and has ALSA support.

Oh well, I was close (not really).

>> You know that a lot of apps that won't run on XP will run on 98, and
>> also with wine.  I was seriously thinking of putting 98 in a VM and
>> running it so I can run Newsleecher.  I wish there was such a program
>> for Linux, but I have yet to find anything even close.  Of course it's
>> not that big of deal since I can use binsearch.info and hellanzb to do
>> everything, but sometimes I miss things because I overlook them on
>> binsearch.  Boy is this off-topic.

> I have win98 installed with Qemu, also runs of VirtualBox. It is too slow to
> be of use. W2K and other full 32 bit windows will run better on vbox and
> maybe Qemu as well.  WINE is OK except what worked yesterday may not work
> with their latest release (and may work again with a future release).

I suppose it all has to do with the speed of the computer you're using
it on (I mean using Windows in a VM).  You're quite right about wine,
that's why I would prefer a VM solution, but then again, the
communication between the VM and the host is not always so strait
forward.  I've never tried VirtualBox, but I do know with VMware, one
has to set a samba share up just so you can "network" the host and the
guest.  Perhaps one of the other VM solutions would be better, but the
ulitmate solution would be to have a program on the GNU/Linux side that
could do what I want.  Perhaps it's time for me to get coding.

Joe

- --