Re: Browser identification to websites

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:41:38 +0100
Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:15:30 +0100
> > Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> >> That is one solution.  There are also privoxy and tsocks or a
> >> combination of all three.  Ran across that info today while I was
> >> searching for a solution to my problem.
> >
> > Privoxy on a local system can't possibly mask your location. The tor
> > people recommend using tor with privoxy to mask other things.
>
> The site that I ran into mentions all three in combination as the best
> way and even shows the config files one needs.  I haven't tried any this
> yet, so perhaps tor alone is enough.

I know that Privoxy can (should) be used in conjunction with tor; the
tor website itself suggests that. They complement each other; tor hides
your location (i.e. IP address) from servers you contact, and Privoxy
strips other data (which could potentially help someone identify you)
from the HTTP requests. My point was just that without tor (or some
other proxy system running elsewhere than on your machines) it's
virtually impossible, by the definition of TCP/IP, to hide your IP
address from servers to whom you talk.
> Perhaps, if you have the time, you could take a look at this and see
> what you think.
>
> http://sidux.com/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=NetzwerkTorPrivoxyInstallEN

Took a quick look; the basic tor / Privoxy setup sounds like what the
tor folks themselves recommend for anonymous web access, IIRC. Tsocks
seems to be useful for anonymizing connections other than HTTP / web. I
haven't actually used it.

> I'll try it tomorrow most likely.  I am curious if it will let me watch
> some content limited to residents of the US and Canada.  I am not
> optimistic, and should probably spend my time doing more constructive
> things than watching tv, even if it is on my computer.

It's the principle that counts :). You should also look at mixmaster
for anonymizing email.

Celejar