Re: NVIDIA i2c adapter?

On March 22, 2007 12:22:42 pm Joe Hart wrote:
> Stephen Cormier wrote:
> > On March 22, 2007 07:11:54 am David Baron wrote:
> >> Getting this booting a 2.6.20-3 rt-patched kernel:
> >>
> >> Mar 22 08:08:43 d_baron kernel: **WARNING** I2C adapter driver [NVIDIA
> >> i2c adapter 0 at 1:00.0] forgot to specify physical device; fix it! Mar
> >> 22 08:08:43 d_baron kernel: **WARNING** I2C adapter driver [NVIDIA i2c
> >> adapter 1 at 1:00.0] forgot to specify physical device; fix it! Mar 22
> >> 08:08:43 d_baron kernel: **WARNING** I2C adapter driver [NVIDIA i2c
> >> adapter 2 at 1:00.0] forgot to specify physical device; fix it!
> >>
> >> I am using Nvidia's 9631 driver (last one to support old Geforce mx400
> >> cards). I doubt this relates to the rt patch. There is nothing about
> >> this in Xorg.0.log and the driver is working correctly.
> >>
> >> So ... how do I "fix it!" ??  (Or simply ignore it?)
> >>
> >> I do not get this error for 2.6.18 kernels.
> >
> > You ignore it, according to one of the Nvidia employees who post on the
> > nvnews.net site it is a useless warning that will be fixed in some
> > unspecified future version of the driver.
>
> Somehow I don't think nvidia is planning on updating that driver.  They
> no longer support the old cards, that's why David has to use the old
> drivers.  The new driver doesn't support his card.  It is not typical
> that companies will work on drivers of old products.  They want you to
> buy their new product instead.
>
> Sorry to say, you'll either have to live with that error, downgrade your
>  kernel, use open drivers or get a new video card.  Those are the only
> options I see.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> Registerd Linux user #443289 at http://counter.li.org/

I believe the idea is that the legacy driver as they are calling it will
continue to be updated to keep supporting the older cards at least that is
what I have read on the site whether they do it or not is another thing...

Stephen

--
GPG Pubic Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc