Re: Package database

On 3/22/07, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 11:22:31AM +0200, ccostin wrote:
> Apt/dpkg/other tools can recover a corrupted  package
> database,rebuilding a new and correct version, without manually edit
> of /var/lib/dpkg/status(old), /var/lib/dpkg/available(old) files ?

I'm probably wrong, but isn't that what apt-get -f is for? Fixing
stuff? Don't do it without reading up on it though, I'm not 100% sure
on it's effects and if it will do what you want.

If in mc -> Status  section from /var/lib/dpkg/status , is modified from
Package: mc
Section: utils

into
Package: mc
Section: utils

apt-get remove/install any_package won't work (not mc), not even
apt-get install -f

#apt-get remove mc
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Malformed 3rd word in the Status line
E: Error occurred while processing mc (UsePackage2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
#apt-get install mc
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Malformed 3rd word in the Status line
E: Error occurred while processing mc (UsePackage2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
# apt-get install gedit
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Malformed 3rd word in the Status line
E: Error occurred while processing mc (UsePackage2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
# apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Malformed 3rd word in the Status line
E: Error occurred while processing mc (UsePackage2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Or dpkg -r mc
#dpkg -r mc
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 72270 package `mc':
`installd' is not allowed for third (status) word in `status' field

If erros appear on I/O operations, when reading or writing deb package
database files, informations from that files can be verified in some
way using checksums (CRC/md5...) and corrected if is possible?

Best answers to this problem(s) founded by google are regular backups
and/or  directly editing those files (available/status).