Re: Speeding up boot time

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:28:15PM -0700, Jeff D wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Michael Pobega wrote:
>
> >Also, I forgot to ask. Would it be safe to remove networking from
> >/etc/init.d, and just switch to using ifupdown?
> >

> you might also want to check out sysv-rc-conf, its a neat little terminal
> app that will show you what services are started at what run level and let
> you activate or deactivate them.  that way you dont have remove packages
> or go through all the trouble of tracking down init scripts.  i find it
> quite handy as I can keep things in there like nfs, but just have it
> disabled by default, i can start it up if i need it later ..

Thank you for that! Running that program with the -o argument made
changing everything so easy! My system boots in about 15 seconds now,
and I'm thinking of purging mysql and hplip because I don't think I
use either of them (Well I know I don't use MySQL, but is hplip
something that I could be using and not even knowing about?)