Re: No text mode display after grub

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 17:10:56 +0000, J.A. de Vries wrote:
> On 2007-03-04 @ 19:43:57 (week 09) Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > I think this might be related to the framebuffer driver.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > You can try to "modprobe vesafb" (or whatever fb module is suitable
> > for your graphics card) from an X root console and see if this helps.
>
> I am sorry to say it didn't.

Let me just quickly correct my earlier statement: I think the Debian
Linux source packages have the "modular vesafb" option removed anyway
because it caused trouble in the past. I half remembered this and then I
mixed things up a bit when I wrote the previous mail. You probably got a
"module not found" error.

> > It might be necessary to compile vesafb (or ...fb) statically into the
> > kernel.
>
> Tried that after you suggested it, but to no avail.
>
> Meanwhile I've given up. I am now using the pre-build 2.6.18-4 kernel,
> which works like a charm.

If you still want to try out features of the 2.6.20 kernel without much
hassle then you can use one of the Debian Linux images which are
available if you add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel trunk main

I use the 2.6.20-1-amd64 image from that source to have 3D acceleration
for my Intel 82Q963/Q965 graphics controller, and this kernel works for
me without problems. The 2.6.20 source package with Debian patches are
also available, of course, if you want to compile yourself from Debian
sources.

More info about these kernel snapshots (and the archive signing key) can
be found here:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel

--
Regards,