Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu

Joe Hart wrote:

Greg Folkert wrote:
[snip]
Do you honestly think that everyone here is using Etch? or Sarge?
All I see is many struggling to help you on a system that is not Debian.

Agreed.  This is the Debian User's mailing list.

I don't really care to support an OLD version of a Debian derivative,
that isn't really Debian in the first place. Do us THAT before we
continue.
If you are so pissed off that I'm not using 6.10, why are you replying in the first place?
I am not PISSED, if I were pissed and I had the gumption to reply, you'd
get a seriously LONG e-mail. Not just a 2-3 pager, a novel.

 and Ubuntu isn't really Debian?
Nope it has diverge significantly that many Debian packages will not
install on Ubuntu's Edgy.

See my other post in this thread.

what do you call a distro that uses apt, aptitude, deborphan, dpkg, etc and claims to be based on Debian?
Lets see, off hand:
        Admanix, APLINUX, ASLinux, AbulEdu, Formerly Demudi now ANGULA,
        ANTEMIUM Linux, Arrabix, Augustux, Backtrack, B2D Linux, BenHUr,
        BEERnix, Biadix, BIG LINUX, Bioknoppix, BlackRhino, BRLSpeak,
        Bonzai Linux, ClusterKnoppix, Catix, CensorNet, Clusterix,
        Condorux, Corel Linux, Danix, Demolinux, DebXPde, Dizinha Linux,
        Debian JP, Debian-BR-CDD, DeveLinux, Damn Small Linux(DSL), DCC,
        ESware Linux, eduKnoppix, ERPOSS, Evinux, Euronode, Engarde,
        emdebian, Ebuntu, FAMELIX, FeatherLinux, FoRK (Vital Data
        Forensic or Rescue Kit), Freeduc-cd, Freeduc-Sup, Finnix,
        Familiar, GEOLivre Linux, Gibraltar, GNIX-Vivo, Kinneret,
        GNUstep Live, grml, GuadaLinex, Gnoppix, Hiweed Linux, Helix,
        Hikarunix, IndLinux,  Impi Linux, Julex, K-DeMar, Kaella,
        Knoppix Linux Azur, Kanotix, KlusTriX, knopILS, Knoppel,
        Knoppix64, KnoppixSTD, KNOPPIX, KnoppiXMAME, KNOSciences,
        Kurumin, Kalango Linux, Kunbuntu, KnoppMyth, LAMPPIX, LIIS
        Linux, Libranet, LinEspa, Linspire, Linux-YeS, Linux Live Game
        Project, Linux Loco, LinuxDefender Live! CD, Linux Router
        Project, LiVix, Local Area Security Linux (L.A.S.), Luinux, Luit
        Linux, Linex, Linuxin, Libranet(though now part of Mandriva),
        MAX: Madrid Linux, MediainLinux, MEPIS, Metadistro-Pequelin,
        MIKO GNYO/Linux, MoLinux, Munjoy Linux, Morphix, MeNTOPPIX,
        Nature's Linux, NordisKnoppix, NepaLinux, NUbuntu,
        OpenGroupware.org Knoppix CD, OverclockIX, Oralux, PAIPIX,
        ParallelKnoppix, Parsix GNU/Linux, Penguin Sleuth Bootable CD,
        PHLAK, PilotLinux, PingOO, Progeny Linux, Prosa, Quantian, RAYS
        LX, Salvare, Santa Fe Linux, Slavix, Slix, Slo-Tech Linux,
        Soyombo Mongolian Linux, SphinxOS, Stonegate, Stromix
        Tecnologies' Storm Linux, Symphony OS, Skolelinux, Tablix on
        Morphix, TelemetryBox, Tilix Linux, TupiServer Linux, Ubuntu,
        User Linux, Ubuntu Lite X-evian, Xandros, Xfld, Xarnoppix,
        Xebian, Zen Linux, ZoneCD, Zopix, zUbuntu

You left out Sidux.  Shame on you :)  At least Sidux is Sid, just like
Kanotix was.

Thankfully, others have been very helpful here. The correct way to say the above is to use "ME" instead of "US", unless ,of course, it is planted in your head that you are a spokesperson for "all".
I guess, since we are now supporting Ubuntu, we now get to support all
those other one. Thanks Ben, you've just opened a can of worms.

Somehow I get the feeling that Ben won't be getting a lot of support in
the future.  At least not from you or me.

A real good test to see what one's distribution is:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

If you don't see the word debian there, and the site you're using isn't
listed on the official Debian mirrors
(http://www.debian.org/mirror/official), then you're not running Debian.

Ok Joe, here is my repo http://DEBIAN.yorku.ca/ubuntu
When I did a Sarge net install, dselect fetched me the York university mirror, http://DEBIAN.yorku.ca/DEBIAN/ I was certainly running DEBIAN Sarge on two machines back then. I use this mirror for my other machine, 2xP3500 currently running Sarge. Somehow I get the feeling that despite your knowledge, you're full of hot air. But thanks all the same for all the support that you WERE GONNA give me.

Joe
- --