Re: Browser identification to websites

Ken Heard wrote:

> Unfortunately too many webmasters design their pages to cater to one
> widely used browser which has yet to conform to the W3C standard.
> Opening such sites usually brings a window warning that the user's
> browser detected by the site will not deliver all the functionality of
> the site.  In extreme cases the site will not allow access unless the
> user uses that particular browser and no other.

In some cases the agent-switcher plugin simply won't have any effect.
It's usually a case that the middleware used on the site, requires a
certain set of dills/and/or plugins, that can only be used with a
certain browser(s).

I ran across this at a college website last year here in Toronto. The
site in question was using JAVA as middleware, and the browser I was
using at the time; Apple Safari apparently has/had a nasty JAVA exploit
(at the time) so Apple Safari/and Mozilla users couldn't access the
dynamic parts of the site for security reasons. I don't remember the
details specifically, but I did find the bug listed on BugTrac.

I don't know if this is relevant at all to your issue Ken, but it bears
consideration. I complained to the webmaster, and he actually agreed
with me, and said a new site was under development at the time. It has
since been fixed.