Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:02:20AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> Using.  Not developing.

What difference does it make?

> I run Etch on my home box (the one I'm typing on now) but for servers it
> isn't always practical to use Testing, and that means you can almost never
> use a currently-in-production server with Debian, unless you want to
> hand-compile at the very least a kernel.
>
> CentOS was much easier for me as an admin.

Umm, most of the software in CentOS (I'm talking the 5.0 beta which will
come out shortly now that RedHat has released) is the same version (or
even a couple of minor versions *behind*) the versions currently in
Etch.  You also realise that CentOS is shipping with only a tiny
fraction of the packages that are available in Etch.  So, I wager that
you would have to do lot's more hand compiling or getting stuff from
third parties to run on CentOS than you would have to on Debian.

Now, I have run Debian on plenty of servers and I have never found one
where I *had* to compile a kernel myself.  There were times I did to get
some extra feature or something.  In general, Debian installs work fine,
unless you happen to have the absolute latest and greatest hardware.  In
which case, you would have the exact same problem installing CentOS.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez