Re: web browser choices

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 08:05:07PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:

> I've been searching for browsers for a while, and I've found a few
> that I like:
>
> kazehakase; Not very well featured, but it's small and quick if you
> just need a "down to the bones" browser.
>
> links2; An amazing browser if you're really low on resources, or if
> you don't want to be annoyed by CSS. Links2 doesn't support CSS, but
> is supports nearly everything else (Javascript, for one) (But it
> doesn't really support most streaming formats, i.e. Flash/Video).
>
> Galeon; My personal choice for a browser. Galeon is highly
> customizable, and with it's "Smart Bookmarks" (Something other web
> browsers don't have) Galeon makes the web completely accessable. It's
> much lighter than Iceweasel/Firefox (Which I've noticed is really
> annoying and apt to crashing), without losing too much functionality.
> All you'll have to really learn is how to navigate through
> gconf-editor to edit the options in the Apps > Galeon subdirectory.
>
> And there's always chimera2, if you really need an ugly looking
> browser with almost no dependencies :D

Chimera2 is alpha test.

Galeon doesn't let me set the cache location and is gecko based

I'll try links2

kazehakase is also gecko based.

---

I'm trying to steer clear of the gecko engine for a while; it seems that
everytime one turns around, there's a security bug against the
mozilla-derived system that affects all these browsers.

I don't need it to support multimedia or other plugins; I'm happy if I
click a link and it pops up asking what to run.  I'm fine with a
separate window for vlc and xpdf or evince.

All I want is solid, secure, configurable cache location (since I've got
an ecrypted /tmp (and swap) I may as well use it, graphics, frames,
javascript, https.

Thanks for all the responses.

Doug.