Re: wine or VM

On 3/18/07, Bernd.Kloss <bernd.kloss@web.de> wrote:
Etch
2.6.18-3-k7
KDE 3.5

Hello,

we used to run programs on WIN98SE, Win2000 and XP using for instance
QUICKTIME or being programmed in Pascal using graphics.
Some people are using powerpoint-presentations and WINWORD-Textfiles. Both
with problems since StarOffice 8 PP5 is not transferring everything exactly.
So some of those people don't want to take Staroffice or whatever. If it is
not working the way they did it, forget it.

I made a few experiments with wine, but had problems with charactersizes in
graphics, if it was running at all.

Is a virtual machine a better alternative to wine?

Which vm is a good advice on a 1,8-GHz computer with 500MB? How much memory is
minimum?

We just need an environment for MS-Office, some special-programs and
shockwave-applets.

Do you need updating Windows once it is running in an VM without internet?

1. Wine or vm?
2. Best choice for ETCH?
3. A good list or forum to ask further questions?

I am using VM on ETCH, also tried Qemu and Wine, but not so deep, VM i
saw it performs better tha Qemu (faster).

You can check how to install the three of them on this link.

http://linux.go2linux.org/taxonomy/term/8

Hope it helps.

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."