Re: How to chmod files in my web server

On 18 Mar 2007 13:24:54 -0700, Jordi <acero_64@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Wei Chen,

Thanks for that excelent info.

> I think 755 is all right. The execute bit for a directory means the
> permission of going into the directory.

And what about setting the files to chmod 744 ? That way will be
better? Or not?

Hi, directories should be set to 755 as I said. For files, if your CMS
is written in for example PHP, then the execute bit is not needed
since the script is interpreted by the php interpreter, not directly
executed by the OS, so the files can be set 644.
If the CMS runs as CGI using Perl or C programs for example, then
they should be set 755.

Jordi