Re: Debian's progress inspite of events (was Re: Dunk-Tank and the DD strike)

On 3/17/07, Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk > wrote:

A lot of hardware resellers are currently saying "Debian doesn't
work on this hardware" but when you investigate it turns out that
they heard that the default Sarge install does not support the SATA
controller, and they don't care to find out more.  In turn some
hosting companies pass that (not strictly true) message on.

I'll be glad when it goes from not strictly true to completely
untrue.

Cheers,
Andy

I agree that the kernel within the installer is something
needing to be updated more often.  I regard Debian as serious
production class server OS, but there are others who weigh
everything on the installer experience.  We know it is possible to
update the kernel after the install, but if the installer doesn't
support the mobo chipset and disk controllers, it presents
a catch-22 because you can't install it to update the kernel.
There are workarounds, but they are very time consuming, and
a major strike against adopting Debian versus the commercial
brand Linuxes.

We need to keep Debian from appearing to be a basement
hacker's work.  It makes less difference to me than to
managers who evaluate it and don't know (and refuse to learn)
the difference between the kernel and the OS.  Such managers
are already freaked out about open source and the
high number of one-developer Linux distros out there.  They don't
see Debian mentioned in many press announcements, so
it is difficult to demonstrate how prevalent and robust
Debian really is.

Making things work for current hardware is one of the main
things that will differentiate between a "works for me" type of
distro, and a "works for everybody" well supported distro.

--Donald