Re: Debian's progress inspite of events (was Re: Dunk-Tank and the DD strike)

Greg Folkert wrote:
>         Sarge was so late, that things happened, including:
>                 Ubuntu taking shape.

This is kind of like claiming that Progeny came about because potato was
late, or Stormix because woody was late. At best it glances off one
possible reason for making a derived distribution, while utterly missing
the motherload of other reasons.

>                 Many Debian Developers becoming MIA or just abandoning
>                 Debian

I don't recall this happening in the ramp up to sarge at any different
rate than it always happens. Examples?

>                 Hosting companies disallowing Debian as an available
>                 distro

I don't remember this happening either. I *do* recall a lot of users
switching to and installing sarge before it was officially released, the
same as is happening with etch today. This began to be really practical
in August 2004 with rc1 of d-i for sarge, and continued to be well
supported with rc2, and rc3 right up to sarge's release.

Similarly, the hosting companies I have experience with are already
offering etch.

--
see shy jo