Vanilla kernel and third party driver difficulties

Hi guys,

I'm running etch, and for the sake of my notebook's ACPI, I'm running
the the latest 2.6.21-rc4 kernel.  There are some third party drivers
that I need, and since 2.6.21-rc3 module-assistant fails to compile any
of them, and I get the same error accross the board:

/usr/src/modules/rt2x00/rt2x00_compat.h:12:26: error: linux/config.h: No
such file or directory

which linux/config.h is it complaining about?  It doesn't give the whole
path.

Is anyone else running these -rc kernels with extra modules?

Thanks
Hans