Re: iceweasel always requesting to be default browser

Roman Stöckl-Schmidt <roman@stoeckl-schmidt.de> wrote:

> Michael M. schrieb:
> > So what is your default browser?  Do you have iceweasel set as the
> > default in any DE you are using, if you are using one?  What does
> > update-alternatives report?
>
> Okay, I'm using Gnome and in the preferred applications settings or
> whatever it's called in english it says custom with the command to
> run the application set to "/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox "%s". When I
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are you sure about that?

> So apparently everything is fine but iceweasel doesn't detect that
> the entry it made itself is actually iceweasel as the default rather
> than some other program. easiest workaround for now would be to just
> disable the warning in iceweasel, butr the underlying problem
> wouldn't be solved by that, now would it?
>
> Assuming that you guys don't really now what to do to change this
> behaviour either, apart from filing a bug report to change the
> source, I have only one more question: Where should I file this, is
> it a debian related problem, firefox or Gnome?

I would report it against the iceweasel package as it seems to be a
packaging problem. If it's not, then the package maintainer will
forward it upstream.

> P.S.: I've never used update-alternatives before but couldnt really
> figure out how to use it in my case from the man page. I did
>
> #update-alternatives --display firefox
> #update-alternatives --display /usr/bin/firefox
> #update-alternatives --display /usr/bin/firefox
> #update-alternatives --display browser

Firefox/Iceweasel is an alternative for x-www-browser. Try:

update-alternatives --display x-www-browser

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)