Re: What do I use to reconfigure the network /after/ initial install on Etch?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 01:11:04PM -0500, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> >> None that I am aware of. You have to do it by hand.
> >

> >Interesting trend.  I suppose eventually we'll see the elimination of
> alsaconf, printconf, installation scripts for the OS, etc.  We'll have to "do
> it by hand."  Perhaps, in the future, the brand spanking new Debian will
> start to look remarkably similar to Buzz, Rex, or Bo.
>
> I think it's crazy.
>
> What does everyone expect newbies to use to change the config?

well for newbies, I'd expect them to use the lovely GUI networking
tools that come with gnome or kde.

> Its one thing to edit the files by hand if you are only changing from one
> static IP address to another.
>
> It's completely different if you are adding a new PCI card, switching from
> static to DHCP or back.

I think these are non-newbie situations, frankly. But I suspect they
work fine through the GUI tools as well.

I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out that the newbie is going
to (hopefully) get themselves all the way to a working gui and then
configure the network from there.

.02