Re: OT: sponge burning!

Clive Menzies wrote:
> Sorry I just can't let this pass....
> Justifications for the Iraq war:
> Weapons of Mass Destruction ....er no!

    Er, yes.  As I posted the justification was not that they were present but
that Hussein was seeking to obtain them.  Given that in the past he has had
them and used them against the population of his own country and that he was
making overtures to other middle east nations that he had them or was seeking
to acquire them this is a yes.

> Al-qaida links to Saddam Hussein ...er no!

    Er, yes.  Representatives were in Iraq on several occasions.  Again, it
was preventative.

> Iraq responsible for 9/11 ... er no!

    Of course not.  But then this is a leftist media oversimplification.  The
link is that Saddam was responsible for an increase in global terrorist
activities (which is a fact) and that 9-11 was a terrorist act (which is a
fact) so in a larger sense of fighting global terror Saddam made himself a
target (which is a fact).

> Bringing democracy and freedom to the Iraqi people .... er no!

    Uh, yes.  Try looking past Wolf Blitzer and his over-hyped candy show and
try to find the good in the nation.  You do realize that 80-90% of the the
violence in Iraq right now is in a 20 mile radius of Bagdad?  You do realize
that Iraq's a tad larger than 20 miles from Bagdad, right?  That means the
rest of the nation is pretty much at peace.  Furthermore outside of one
faction being uppity about the process the rest of the nation has moved
forward to a democratically elected government.

> Wake up, look beyond Fox News and discover what's really going on in the
> world.  It's not that the rest of the world hates America or its people.
> Many just abhor how the world has become a much more dangerous place as
> a direct result of British and American foreign policy.

    Haha, funny.  Ok, I have to ask, what was the terrorists excuse for the 30
*years* prior to Iraq?  I thought it was telling when one weblogger started
showing political comics from the 1970s that commented on Hezzballah hiding
behind Iran's civilians while Isreali forces were in front of their civilians.
 Or how about the old joke, "TWA, travel with Arabs.  DELTA, Don't Even Let
Them Aboard!"  Gallegher from the mid-1980s!  What did 30+ years of
appeasement get the world?  More and more attacks.  Your argument doesn't
stand the test of simple historical fact.

> Neither Bush nor Blair have any miltary experience and it shows; nor do
> they have any perspective on history.

    Apparently neither do you.

> I won't follow up on this because I don't think this is the appropriate
> forum to conduct such a debate.  I just can't let such naivity pass.

    But you can display yours in all its glory?