Re: help please! Error with apt-get, dpkg and aptitude

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:55:18AM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> Joe Hart wrote:
> >David Primero Segundo wrote:
> >
> >>Hello friends, i am very sad because my system debian is instable. When
> >>i run: apt-get upgrade or when i run aptitude to install or remove or
> >>upgrade a package, or when i use dpkg, debia answer me the next:
> >>http://pastebin.ca/392151, please i don't know to do i need help you.
> >>

> >Sorry to say this:  That error is an i/o error.  It looks to me like you
> >may have a hard disk problem.
> >

> As very little information is given by the original poster it could also
> be that both apt-get and dpkg are choking on a single package that has
> become corrupted too.
>
> In the link below there is a very similar problem and how the guy fixed
> it on his machine, but it is rather involved.
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~c/blog/archive/2003-05.html
>
> Scroll down to the entry for May 8, 2003 to find the problem defined and
> solution found.

I was installing a coupla pkgs on a Sid machine in last coupla days when
for some unknown reason the '/var/lib/dpkg/status' file got corrupted.
Somehow a package name had a ')' character instead of an 'i' character.

The error msgs were reasonably helpful. I can't remember the command
(sorry) which basically said "... parse error for file
/var/lib/dpkg/status ')' character illegal in package name at line
31645"

I don't know if the above links, I haven't looked, are relative to this
anonomolly.

I haven't reported a bug but if it happens again I may consider it.

--
Chris.
======