Re: console based cd burning (wodim and burn)

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 07:24:11PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > >That is where you are wrong:
> >
> > >http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/09/msg00002.html
> >
> > >  "Unfortunately Sun then developed the CDDL[1] and J=F6rg Schilling
> > >  released parts of recent versions of cdrtools under this license.
> > >  The CDDL is incompatible with the GPL.  The FSF itself says that this
> > >  is the case as do people who helped draft the CDDL. One current and
> >
> > ??? Any reason to quote this FUD?
> >
> How is it FUD?  Both the FSF *and* the drafters of the CDDL say that
> the two licenses are incompatible.  In this case, you appear to be the
> only one to say differently.

They are as incompatible as GPL & LGPL are....

You may not mix a code inside a GPL project with code under another license
because the GPL is not free enough, this is well known but completely irrelevent
for cdrtools as this kind of code mox is not done inside cdrtools....

> > Your quote is complete nonsense and it is easy to prove that this text is
> > wromg.
> >
> Oh, you mean by watching the video that is linked in the message I
> cited?

The video where the Intel employee Danese Cooper spread lies about the CDDL?

Danese Cooper was not involved with the creation of the CDDL ans she was
obviously unhappy with the fact that Sun could not use the GPL for OpenSolaris
due to limitations of the GPL. This seems to be the reason why she spreads lies
about the creation of the CDDL.

BTW: I was involved in the creation of the CDDL (three changes have been
introduced on my request in order to make the CDDL usable by anyone even single
authors like me). I was in contact with the real creators of the CDDL:

-	Anrew Tucker, the OpenSolaris chief engineer in 2004. I had a several
	hour discussion with him during a dinner in September 2004 and I know
	that nobody inside Sun likes to prevent OpenSolaris code from
	appearing in other free software. Some Engineers have been against the
	BSD license because they did not like to see the code in closed source
	projects.

-	Claire Giordano, the lawyer whi did write it. I has a 1.5 hour phone
	conference with her ans Andy Tucker on Christmas 2004 to discuss the
	problems if the first draft.

> > If you insist in quoting FUD, we should stop here are you do not seem to be
> > interested in the truth.
> >
> Please explain how what I am quoting is FUD.

Se above.

People who write claims that are correct under some circumstances but
definitely not apply to the case in question are people who use these claims
in order to overpower the readers with the backgound of influencing them.

This is what we call FUD...

> > Interestingly: the FUD from some Debian deviants spread against cdrtools is
> > based on the wrong interpretation of the GPL...
> >
> Would this be the interpretation that is shared by the FSF *and* by the
> drafters of the CDDL?

The FSF obviously is not against putting different licenses together in a mere
aggregation as done inside cdrtools.

> > Let us stop the "discussion" here, I do not have the impression that you are
> > intrested in a real discussion but only in spreading the FUD from the Debian
> > deviants.
> >
> Well, I have nothing against you.  You wrote the software, you can
> license it in whatever way you like.  However, the ad hominem attacks
> against Debian developers makes you appear quite juvenile.

I do not attack them, I am rather attacked by them.

Would you like to help me against the FUD spread by them?

> They believe (apparently in agreement with the FSF and the drafters of
> the CDDL) that there is an incompatibility.  In order to make themselves
> a potential legal target, they have chosen their course of action.

There is no such incompatibility that is touched by cdrtools.

> The OP simply asked where cdrecord had gone.  I explained where and why
> the Debian developers who created the fork decided to do so.  You are
> welcome to disagree with them.

Some Debian people did create this fork because they do not like to cooperate
with the author in a fruitful way. This is not related to license problems but
to personal deficites from these people.

Unfortunately Debian does not seem to be interested in doing the best for their
users but to avoid replacing the people in question by people who are intrested
in a fuitful cooperation.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)