Re: do I need jackd?

Bob McGowan wrote:
H.S. wrote:

Hello,

Do I need jackd on a computer which is recording output from an audio mixer? Currently the output of the mixer is being fed to the line-in of the computer's sound card and audacity is being used to record the audio. Seems to be working fine. I have also tried to playback the audio while it is being recorded and this seems to have had no ill effects either. Now, do I stand to gain anything by installing jackd in this scenario?

->HS

Not if that's all you plan/need to do.

The jackd program is for use in a situation where you have several applications like audacity, that need access to the sound card, and that you want to have running simultaneously. jack control lets you connect their output/input to the daemon, which then accesses the sound card. I'm not that familiar with JACK, but I think it can be used to make other types of connections, as well, such as a linear sequence of several programs.

Note that the programs need to be "jack aware". The version of Audacity I'm using isn't, and connects directly the hardware regardless. And since I'm doing basic recording to disk, this is not an issue for me, and may not be a problem for you, either. Depending...;)

Bob

Also, if you need any kind of low-latency audio recording / synthesizing / mixing / etc, you definitely need jackd. JACK is to Linux what ASIO is to Window$, but on steroids. If you do work with audio, I recommend having your kernel patched with the low-latency things and jack installed. It works great.

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal
begin:vcard
fn:Cassiano Bertol Leal