Re: daylight savings time

At 11:21 PM 3/13/2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote

Marty Landman wrote:
I've got NTP running with the following conf file:

marty@UNCLELEO:~$ cat /etc/ntp.conf
server  otherntp.server.org    # A stratum 1 server at server.org
server  ntp.research.gov       # A stratum 2 server at research.gov
restrict 127.0.0.1
marty@UNCLELEO:~$

Only problem is that I am getting the time as an hour earlier than it really is, since the new daylight savings time here in the US went into effect over the weekend. I have my timezone set to EST.
Have you done an upgrade recently? The patches to libc6 went in recently and an upgrade should take care of it. My system is keeping correct time here on the Pacific coast.

Here's what I tried, but the date is still showing an hour too early... help please.

marty@UNCLELEO:~$ sudo apt-get update
[snip]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Get:1 ftp://ftp.nerim.net woody/main Packages
Err ftp://ftp.nerim.net woody/main Packages
Unable to fetch file, server said 'Can't open /debian-marillat/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: No such file or directory ' [IP: 62.4.17.14 21]
Get:2 ftp://ftp.nerim.net woody/main Release
Ign ftp://ftp.nerim.net woody/main Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Packages
[snip]
Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages Unable to fetch file, server said 'Can't open /debian-marillat/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: No such file or directory ' [IP: 62.4.17.14 21]
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net woody/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
marty@UNCLELEO:~$ sudo tzselect
[snip]
11) Cayman Islands        28) Jamaica               45) United States
12) Chile                 29) Martinique            46) Uruguay
13) Colombia              30) Mexico                47) Venezuela
14) Costa Rica            31) Montserrat            48) Virgin Islands (UK)
15) Cuba                  32) Netherlands Antilles  49) Virgin Islands (US)
16) Dominica              33) Nicaragua
17) Dominican Republic    34) Panama
#? 45
Please select one of the following time zone regions.
 1) Eastern Time
 2) Eastern Time - Michigan - most locations
 3) Eastern Time - Kentucky - Louisville area
 4) Eastern Time - Kentucky - Wayne County
 5) Eastern Standard Time - Indiana - most locations
 6) Eastern Standard Time - Indiana - Crawford County
 7) Eastern Standard Time - Indiana - Starke County
 8) Eastern Standard Time - Indiana - Switzerland County
#? 1

The following information has been given:

        United States
        Eastern Time

Therefore TZ='America/New_York' will be used.
Local time is now:      Wed Mar 14 18:02:57 EST 2007.
Universal Time is now:  Wed Mar 14 23:02:57 UTC 2007.
Is the above information OK?
1) Yes
2) No
#? 1
[snip]
Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
can use the /usr/bin/tzselect command in shell scripts:
America/New_York
marty@UNCLELEO:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/ntp-server restart
Restarting NTP server: ntpd... done.

--
Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Free Database Search App: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml