Replacement for inter_module_register/inter_module_unregister in 2.6.18?

Greetings,

I'm trying to install thinkpad-sources (the latest version downloaded
a couple of days ago: 5.9-2.1.)  The first two problems I could fix
because of already reported bugs: a compile error that had a patch to
fix it and a make error that is solved by renaming a *.s file to *.S.

Now everything compiles but loading fails due to the undefined symbols.
>From looking over kernel sources, I see that those functions have been
removed from 2.6.18.  Does anyone know what functions in the latest
kernels assume the responsibility for what those used to do?
Is there a simple replacement? or would this involve re-design of the
drivers?

I'll file a bug report, but I'd prefer if I can provide a patch.

Thanks.

A.