Re: man vs info

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:35:08AM -0800, Mike McClain wrote:
> In man pages written by the FSF I see this advisory:
>
> SEE ALSO
>        The full documentation for sync is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If
>        the info and sync programs are properly installed  at  your site, the
>        command
>               info coreutils sync
>        should give you access to the complete manual.
>
> which seems to imply that the man page does not contain the 'complete manual'.
>
> Every time I've gone to the info page, it has contained the same information
> though sometimes broken into smaller chunks it's all been there.
>
> Has anyone seen am example where there was any more information in the info
> pages than the man pages?

The gcc package (I think) is a good example.  If you install the gcc-doc
(or whichever one corresponds to your version, like gcc4.1-doc) then you
get the complete manual in the info pages.  I think that it is because
the FSF and GNU have a preference for info over man.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez