Re: [debian-user] Reusing LIVE ISO images of CDs and DVDs

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 07:08, Ted Hilts - Thunderbird Acct.
wrote:
> Question:
> I know there is a documented debian process for editing
> existing CDs and DVDs but I don't know the details??? The
> literature just says to edit the ISO image placed on the hard
> drive. I also have some other concerns.

This is referred to as "remastering".  I have done it before for
Kubuntu Edgy using steps very similar to those at
http://wiki.oss-watch.ac.uk/UbuntuEdgy/Remaster

For info on a Debian live CD you might want to check out
http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

You can search for terms like "remaster knoppix" in a search
engine to find other guides for various distros.

[snip]
> I want to be able to play around with
> both the debian and non-debian ones by editing their contents
> and/or making the live CDs into live DVDs. Also, the editing
> process to make these changes has me confused both from the
> standpoint of inserting new content and deleting or changing
> old content.

Creating a live DVD should be as simple as writing the contents
of the CD to the DVD.  No?  I've never done it so I am guessing.

As the remastering guide linked above shows, you can indeed
remove or install software using apt-get after chrooting to the
extracted filesystem.  The guide does a good job so I won't
duplicate the information here.

> Once the editing is done I think I have to remake
> the ISO image using makeiso command but the boot and file
> system will remain intact.  The file system varies on this
> collection of live CDs and DVDs. I don't know the internals of
> makeiso so I wonder if the debian command would work on all
> ISO distributions.
[snip]
> Thanks, Ted

I think makeiso is a fairly generic command but if you run into
trouble I bet you could boot from the live CD and use it to do
the remastering.

Each distribution's live CD will need to be remastered on its
own.  When you are done you have an ISO for each distribution
that you remastered that can be burned to a blank CDR as many
times as you like.

The best way to figure it out is to start following a remastering
guide and give it a try.  If the resulting live CD doesn't work
you try to figure out what went wrong, toss it in the trash, and
try again.

- Steve