Re: Repartitioning, difficult and easy.

Am 14.03.2007 um 15:36 schrieb Celejar:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:05:52 +0100
Martin Marcher <martin.marcher@openforce.com> wrote:

## if you wan't to transfer root (/boot can't be on lvm so you later
have to move it somewhere else if it's on the same FS)

Doesn't GRUB understand LVM these days [1]?

hmm seems like it can. I'd have to investigate that but I just did an etch install with /boot on RAID1 and / on LVM on RAID1[1] the installer chose LILO without asking me further details. I was fine with that I booted into the system worked some basic stuff out (at some point I umounted /boot and recreated the structure on inside the / FS)

The I had to switch to grub since afaik LILO can't boot Xen which this box would hold. And grub kept complaining about /dev/vg00/ com..... (the LVM volume) not having or being a physical device so I just switched back to /boot being on a seperate RAID Volume which works for me.

I don't consider my self an expert in this area I know what works for me (which is actually a bad thing since works for me isn't generic enough most of the time)

hth
/martin

[1] Disk Setup as follows:

Dell SC1435, no RAID options in the Hardware, 2x80GB HD SATA

/dev/sda5 200 MB
/dev/sdb5 200 MB

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdb5

/dev/sda6 REST of it
/dev/sdb6 REST of it

mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda6 /dev/sdb6

(extended partitions)

pvcreate /dev/md1
vgcreate vg00 /dev/md1
lvcreate -L 5G -n com......