Re: user defined mime types, source highlighting

> "gedit" support already Syntax Highlighting of Sourcecode and if the
> syntax for those "octave" files is currently not supported, create a
> new syntax file and put it into your config directory.

Yes, that's true but what I want is for gedit to automagically
recognizes the source file as an octave source file. I can turn on the
source highlighting myself no problem.

So I guess what I am really asking is what is the debian way of adding
mime types?