Re: Iceweasel and Iceweasel-dbg

Ken Heard wrote:

> Both the iceweasel and iceweasel-dbg packages are installed in my Etch
> boxes and are used.  Iceweasel is described by aptitude as a
> "lightweight web browser based on Mozilla."  Iceweasel-dbg is described
> as "containing the debugging symbols for iceweasel."  What are
> "debugging symbols"?
>
> Ken Heard

If you are just a user, you do not need the package containing debugging
symbols. If iceweasel is crashing and you want to report the bug then you
most likely need the package containing debugging symbols. Debugging
symbols are often necessary to debug a code inorder to find the possible
location of a crash etc., The debugging symbols can provide tracebacks as
to where a program performed illegal operations.

For more info see manuals of gcc (look for -g option), gdb, ddd etc.,

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi