Re: Multi-disk filesystem or aufs/unionfs alternative

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 01:42:42PM +0100, "J?rgen P. Tjern?" wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a multi-disk filesystem or a multi-filesystem
> filesystem (like aufs or unionfs) for use on a series of consumer-grade
> stand-alone disk (currently netting about 1.7TB)?
>
> UnionFS doesn't support NFS-exporting and has issues with exporting via
> samba (files and directories are randomly not shown, at least to
> Windows-clients).
> aufs is a bit better, but it doesn't support nfs yet (and I've had some
> issues there, but the author is great on the feedback and bugfixing, so
> at the moment I have no issues with it).
>
> I've used LVM, but the "lose one, lose all"-kinda philosophy doesn't
> really ring well with me (which makes aufs/unionfs) great.
> I've also used raid mirror / striping (with redundancy), but after a
> traumatic experience involving data-loss I've been scarred to not want
> to waste my disks on false security. In any case, limiting dataloss is
> good enough, the data isn't irreplaceable.

How did you loose data with the raid?  I would have suggested JFS on LVM
on RAID.  Then again, I don't know what you mean by stand-alone.  Are
they NAS or just external to a debian box but still part of that system
(USB, eSATA, etc)?

Work from the bottom up:  determine your fault tolerance level and set
up your raid array(s) appropriatly, put each md into a VG, make LVs, put
JFS on the LVs.  While you're at it, figure out how you want to back up
1.7 TB.

Doug.