Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:49:55PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/12/07 17:15, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > At work we deal with files of size 1 GB to 100 GB on a regular
> > basis.  I would classify those as large.  XFS supports files up
> > to a size of 8 exabytes and filesystems also of size 8 exabytes.
> > I am not sure of the limitations on JFS.
>
> I've read that XFS is very fragile during system crashes and easily
> loses the contents of files.

It can.  In flushing the buffers, it can start writing crap out to disk.
This is because in the event of a power loss/fluctuation the SDRAM is
the first thing to go usually.  There was a very interesting post about
it on the SGI XFS list from a few years back, but I can't seem to locate
it at the moment.

Regards,

-Roberto

--