Re: authentication failure

semgogo sem wrote:
> yes, I can log in locally at the terminal as a normal user and then
> "su - root" successfully.

Okay.

So you can log in locally at the terminal as a normal user and then "su
- root" successfully,
but you can not log in via ssh as that same normal user and then "su -
root" successfully.

I don't know of any mechanism that would cause this (but then, I'm not
an ssh expert), except perhaps that the password is not being
communicated properly over the ssh link.

Can you ssh in as the normal user, and then verify that the password is
being transmitted properly by simply typing it in at a prompt so you can
see the echo of the password?

Also, do you have (or can you create) a second normal user you could try
with, to eliminate issues with the specific normal user you're using?

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>