Re: [Fwd: Re: Debian Installer on DELL PowerEdge 850/860]

Freddy Freeloader wrote:
Andrei Popescu wrote:
Ben Humpert <ben_humpert@msn.com> wrote:

kinda curious, uname -a said "Linux dr02g 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Wed Feb
21 16:06:54 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux". This is not a SMP kernel, not a real one or something different?!

~$ grep SMP /boot/config-2.6.18-4-686
CONFIG_SMP=y
# CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
CONFIG_SUSPEND_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_X86_SMP=y

The 686 kernels are SMP for some time now.

dpkg said, the installed "kernel" is "linux-image-2.6.18-4-686" and
"linux-image-2.6-686" (no kernel-image-* is installed)

The linux kernel packages in etch and above have been renamed to avoid
conflicts with non-linux kernels like freebsd.

HTH,
Andrei
Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that was confused by the renaming of kernel-image to linux-image. That one really had me going for a while.

Regardless of all the kernel naming confusion, I guess this comes down to the fact that your kernel supports SMP. This means it supports multiple processors, multiple cores, and hyper threading. Since you are only seeing two processors and not four, I don't think your CPU is hyper threaded.

    - Dave

--

Dave Parker
Utica College Department of