RE: [Fwd: Re: Debian Installer on DELL PowerEdge 850/860]

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:42:23 +0200
> From: andreimpopescu@gmail.com
>
> Ben Humpert <ben_humpert@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > kinda curious, uname -a said "Linux dr02g 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Wed Feb
> > 21 16:06:54 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux".
> > This is not a SMP kernel, not a real one or something different?!
>
> ~$ grep SMP /boot/config-2.6.18-4-686
> CONFIG_SMP=y
> # CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
> CONFIG_SUSPEND_SMP=y
> CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
> CONFIG_X86_SMP=y
>
> The 686 kernels are SMP for some time now.
>
> > dpkg said, the installed "kernel" is "linux-image-2.6.18-4-686" and
> > "linux-image-2.6-686" (no kernel-image-* is installed)
>
> The linux kernel packages in etch and above have been renamed to avoid
> conflicts with non-linux kernels like freebsd.
>
> HTH,
> Andrei

For some time? I don't understand. I thought only a SMP kernel is SMP capable, others arent. Sure, its still "testing" but testing crap is nonsense...

Again i want to switch to a different distribution ... just call the kernel packages kinda like "debian-kernel-..." so conflicts avoided perfectly ... in sarge most (not all) of the kernel packages got renamed from kernel-image* to linux-image*. now they changed names again ... just change all names now to a name you dont have to change in some month again.

Also it looks like etch has a bug, i installed "kernel-image-2.6-686-smp" and "linux-image-2.6-686-smp" but i cannot select this real SMP kernel at the grup loader, jut the both entries created by the debian installer.

The differences aptitude shows between these both kernels are:

linux-image-2.6-686-smp:
- Version: 2.6.18+6
- Depends: linux-image-2.6-686
- Tags: admin::kernel

kernel-image-2.6-686-smp:
- Version: 1:2.6.18+6
- Depends: linux-image-2.6-686-smp
- Tags: admin::kernel, role::metapackage

So, what are the real differences? do they just flood apt with "empty" packages?

Thanks for advice