Re: Woody on 486 problem

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 02:01:56AM +0100, Mirko Scurk wrote:

> I'm trying to install woody on Digital Venturis 466 486DX66, 540MB HDD,
> 20MB RAM, CD-ROM, S3 Turbo VGA 1MB and EtherWorks III ISA network adapter.
>
> The first stage of install went fine but after installing lilo and
> rebooting I never got prompt. There are many errors:
>
> Read-only file system
> nothing in /proc - not mounted?
> lot of
> /lb/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4 ...... cannot create .... Read-only file system
> /lb/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4 ...... init_module: No such device
>
> and finally
>
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> When I log to second virtual terminal I get message:
> mesg: /dev/tty2: Read-only file system
>
> Any sugestions, please?

Hi Mirko,

I've been away and may have missed you getting an answer so if you've
got a working system, enjoy.

I'm writing this email from my 486.  I use it as my solid reliable box
and ssh into my new fast box as needed.

Mine is an IBM 486DX4-100 with 32 MB ram running Sarge.  However,
Sarge's installer wouldn't work on this box.  I have a full set of Woody
CDs and it works fine.  When I first installed Woody on it there was
only 16 MB ram.  I swapped up because Mozilla was way too slow.

So now with 32 MB and an assortment of hard disks totally 1.8 GB I've
got a full system including X, mozilla, mutt, dillo, mc, lynx, xpdf, gv,
lpd, etc.

I have a 171 MB drive on a shelf set up as a rescue system I can plug in
if needed (since I can't boot from a CD or USB) that has a strong
text-only system.

So what you're trying to do is certainly possible.

Its been so long since I installed that I forget what it looks like.
However, some suggestions:

At the lilo prompt (its been a while, I use grub), tell it to boot
single.  This will take you to run level 1.  If this still fails try
init=/bin/sh.  If this fails then redo the install.  If this works,
manually run the initscripts in /etc/rcS.d then /etc/rcS.d (remember to
ues the parameter 'start' for those links starting with 'S' and 'stop'
for those with links starting with 'K')  and see what errors you get,
and try reading /var/log/syslog after you get things mounted.

I'm guessing the you've got a problem that occurs during /etc/rcS.d
where the drives get mounted rw.

Take this in baby nibbles.  Eventually you should get to finish the
install and have a base system working.  Switch to aptitude as soon as
you can (to take care of cruft).

If you need to capture the output so that you can email it to this list,
set up a serial console per the HOWTO and use the box you're using to
send emails as a terminal using minicom via a null-modem cable.

The only thing I can't do on my 486 is run Mozilla comfortably.  That
plus fear of old hardware dying prompted me to make my new box.

Enjoy.

Doug.