Re: proc not mounted, root read-only

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 03:23 +0100, Mirko Scurk wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Having problem with mixed debian woody/sarge with 2.4.27-2-386 kernel.
> If I boot to single mode everything is just fine. Issuing from single mode
> "init 2" is also working OK. But when I boot regulary I get error:
>
> Starting system log daemon: syslogdchmod: changing permissions of
> '/dev/xconsole': Read-only file system

This leads me to believe you have a problem with your root filesystem or
the hard-drive it is on.

> start-stop-daemon: nothing in /proc -not mounted?
> Starting kernel log daemon: klogdstart-stop-daemon: nothing in /proc -not
> mounted?

I've only seen these issues when the root filesystem has an error and is
remounted in RO mode after and error during boot..

> Some modules (ne) are also not loaded and network is not working. Host
> name is not applied and proc is indeed empty.
>
> Difference when starting normally and in single-mode is that in
> single-mode everythime is done "Calculating modules dependencies".

Again, Single user mode does not really need a Read-Write root fs.

If I were you I'd get a liveCD and boot it and do fsck on the root
partition.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup