RE: Sad...

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:15:22 -0500
> From: roberto@connexer.com
>
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 09:56:51PM +0100, Ben Humpert wrote:
> > Well, then the debian guys should fix this decades old sarge installer
> > - OR - merge it with the etch installer; it just takes some hours to
> > do this. sata is already established enough to support it. its a shame
> > to direct users to testing only to get sata support and to tell that
> > it should be "hidden" from beginners.
>
> Well, if it only takes "some hours" you are more than welcome to do the
> work and submit the relevant patches to the Debian installer team. Of
> course, they will ask if you have tested this to make sure that it works
> on all 13 or so hardware architectures supported by Debian and whether
> you have tested for regressions. Once you get those two things ironed
> out (it should only take some hours), you should be good to go.

Well, like i said i already have my own sarge with sata-support and it works very well. all my (testing-)servers are online for more than 300 days, so its a stable system but as long as there are many tiny bugs you cannot accept on productive systems i dont send it to them - it would take more time to fix all the tiny bugs than only adding sata-support to sarge.
One bug is that my debian cant write/read the RTC so i have to set the correct time every week (+10 minutes a day), on testing systems you can handle this but not on productive systems where you dont want to change things every week. after a while you want to change nothing if everything is set up perfectly...

And yes, it just takes some hours to implement sata-support into sarge, i didn't needed more.

Regards

Ben