change vga reasolution on the fly

Hello list,

I bought a VGA to s-video converter, this converter receive VGA input of resolution 640x480. I bought this converter in order to connect my laptop to my TV. In the other way my external LCD receive VGA input of 1024x768. So ..., that is my problem: There are any way to use the same VGA output (from my laptop) some times with one resolution and some time with other resolution without restart the X each time ?

My laptop is a Toshiba Portege R100, this Toshiba haven't s-video output, just une VGA output. I'm currently using X.org (X Window System Version 6.9.0) with OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.19.1.

 Thank you in advance,
          Gustavo