Re: grml can, why can't my Debian kernel do it?

Thomas H. George wrote:
> When I boot from a grml-0.9 cd my dvdrw and cdrw drives are found on hde
> and hdf.  They are mountable and usable.
>
> The grml release info says it is based on Debian and uses a vanilla
> 2.6.18-3 kernel with patches and additional modules.
>
> I complied a kernel from Debian linux-source-2.6.18.  On boot up the
> system fails to find the dvdrw and cdrw drives and does not add hde and
> hdf to the list of devices in /dev.  Only entries hda and hdb for the
> two hard drives appear in /dev.
>
> grml can, why can't my Debian kernel do it?
>
> Tom George

It can, and does. The reasons why it doesn't in your case can include
your custom kernel not being properly configured to support ide-cdrom
devices (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m|y) among many others.

Are you running this kernel on a regular debian system (etch), or is
this a live-cd or something like that?

Tom