miscellaneous issues in KMail

Hey gang

I have a few problems that are confusing and frustrating me,
using Etch, in KMail:

1. I press the enter key and after a noticeable delay the text scrolls down. If the return key is pressed repeatedly, I can sit back and relax while watching the cursor move from one row to another. Looking at "top", KMail consumes some 90-odd% of CPU resources! 2. I use a PS/2 mouse with a scroll wheel. The wheel is recognised, but again in KMail when I use it, if I have text on the clipboard it is pasted repetitively throughout the e-mail I am trying to write. 3. If I have a large section of text to delete, I can depress the "delete" key and even once I have stopped pressing the key, text continues to be deleted. 4. On the overall appearance of KMail, when viewing the contents of a directory, the appearance is alternating grey and white rows. How can I change this?

Thanks if anyone can give me a steer on how to fix these issues.

Cheers

/A

Are these related?