Re: Debian GUI

Toshko wrote:
Hi,
I have just installed debian 3.1, and have all the 14 cds. however, i do not know which one the GUI is on, and how to load the cds from the text interface for that matter. Can you help me please?

Login as user root, run "tasksel" and choose "desktop". It will tell you which CDs to insert.

Alternatively, do it all manually. Use apt-get or aptitude to install "x-window-system", and one or more desktops - "gnome", "kde" and/or "icewm". Then set up graphical login by installing "gdm".

(see http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_a_small_partition#Installing_X_and_desktop.28s.29_after_base_system_configuration)

Good luck!

--
Chris.