threading (was: Worse than useless replies)

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:52:02 +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:27:10PM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

[ snip: dicussion on how and why to quote properly ]

> > Patrick, I just thought you should know all of your responses have
> > shown up as new threads to me. Not sure if it's something with my Mutt
> > setup or if other people are seeing this too, but I'd really like to
> > know.
> >

> Icedove MUA also showing Patrick's post as new thread.  He changed the
> subject (corrected then to than).  I really hate when people use the
> word then when they should be using the word than.  It's a far too
> common mistake.
>
> At least Patrick knows the difference.

It seems that gmail does not include "In-Reply-To" references in the
header; at least they were absent in Patrick's message. This means that
a change in the subject line will break threading. It should not matter
if you change the subject as long as your MUA puts the proper references
in the header.

--
Regards,
          Florian