Aptitude says all packages are broken!

In my up-to-date Testing system, Aptitude suddenly says that many packages are
broken! It also says that many packages are unused and wants to remove them!
Apt-get gives similar errors. I did not do anything recently; I have no idea
what caused this. Kindly help.

    $ sudo aptitude install smartmontools
    0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 117 to remove and 45 not upgraded.

    $ sudo aptitude install
    Uncaught exception: ../../../src/generic/problemresolver/problemresolver.h:2216: generic_problem_resolver<PackageUniverse>::generic_problem_resolver(int, int, int, int, unsigned int, int, const PackageUniverse&) [with PackageUniverse = aptitude_universe]: Assertion "bd.broken_under(solution::root_node(initial_broken, universe, weights))" failed.

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>