Re: grml can, why can't my Debian kernel do it?

Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 12:55:52PM -0500, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
>>Thomas H. George wrote:
>>
>>>When I boot from a grml-0.9 cd my dvdrw and cdrw drives are found on hde
>>>and hdf.  They are mountable and usable.
>>>
>>>The grml release info says it is based on Debian and uses a vanilla
>>>2.6.18-3 kernel with patches and additional modules.
>>>
>>>I complied a kernel from Debian linux-source-2.6.18.  On boot up the
>>>system fails to find the dvdrw and cdrw drives and does not add hde and
>>>hdf to the list of devices in /dev.  Only entries hda and hdb for the
>>>two hard drives appear in /dev.
>>>
>>>grml can, why can't my Debian kernel do it?
>>>
>>>Tom George
>>>

>>It can, and does. The reasons why it doesn't in your case can include
>>your custom kernel not being properly configured to support ide-cdrom
>>devices (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m|y) among many others.
>

> Just checked this and found CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
>
>>Are you running this kernel on a regular debian system (etch), or are
>>you trying to use this as a replacement kernel on the grml live-cd or
>>something like that?
>

> The system is regular debian etch.  I ran apt-get update and apt-get
> dist-upgrade earlier today.
>
>>Tom

The stock debian kernel that gets installed with etch will definitely
support these devices. What went wrong from there with your custom
kernel is hard to tell with the information given.

A summary of the steps you took to configure, build, and install the
kernel might help someone pick up on what the problem could
be...

Tom