Re: Open Office writer formatting question

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 12:53:34 -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> *  On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:01:15PM -0500, Curt Howland wrote:
>
> > What I would like to do is make a booklet, that is to say "letter"
> > sheets folded in the middle to make 5.5x8.5 pages.
> >
> > Can someone point me to instructions or a page setting for this? I
> > cannot find it. It seems reasonable to me to assume that OOo would
> > be able to do this.
>
> The ability appears to be provided by the LaTeX package "dviutils",
> which is in the Debian archive:
>
> http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ajcd/dviutils/dvibook.html
>
> It appears that the routines within dviutils are stand-alone; if so,
> then perhaps OpenOffice can produce a dvi file on which the
> appropriate utility can operate.

I think psbook (package psutils) is also worth a look. It will shrink,
reorder and combine the pages from a postscript document to make it
suitable for booklet printing. If you print the new PS file with
duplexing you will end up with a stack of paper that can be folded or
cut in the middle to get a booklet with correct ordering of the pages.
This should work with any wordprocessor (or postscript-to-file
pseudoprinter) that can produce reasonably clean postscript output. I
used it a few years ago for my thesis with LaTeX-generated postscript
and it worked flawlessly.

--
Regards,
          Florian