Re: Open Office writer formatting question

*  On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:01:15PM -0500, Curt Howland wrote:

> What I would like to do is make a booklet, that is to say "letter"
> sheets folded in the middle to make 5.5x8.5 pages.
>
> Can someone point me to instructions or a page setting for this? I
> cannot find it. It seems reasonable to me to assume that OOo would
> be able to do this.

The ability appears to be provided by the LaTeX package "dviutils",
which is in the Debian archive:

http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ajcd/dviutils/dvibook.html

It appears that the routines within dviutils are stand-alone; if so,
then perhaps OpenOffice can produce a dvi file on which the
appropriate utility can operate.

And don't overlook the possibility of using LaTeX (or, if you simply
must have WYSIWYG, LyX) for the booklet.  Once you've used LaTeX for a
publication (which is a very simple matter), I think you would be
loathe to return to the manual, "stone-age" WYSIWYG approach, other
than for an extremely complex and unpredictable layout, such as a
grocery-store tabloid or a newsletter with photos, headlines, and
captions.  For anything having an academic or scholarly appearance,
LaTeX is much better.

RLH