Re: Converting Debian Testing to Stable

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:25:22PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> I installed Debian Testing on a computer, and now want to convert it to
> Stable. Is it correct if I (1) Replace "testing" with "etch" in APT sources,
> (2) Wait for Etch to become Stable, and then (3) Dist-upgrade?
>
> And what is currently the official expected date for Etch to become Stable?

The 'official expected date' for release of the next Stable version has been
fixed for some time: It is 'when the release manager decides that it is ready',
and not any sooner. This is Debian policy.

In another thread there are posts advocating the position that Debian is an
anarchial organization. In such an organization, there can be multiple 'unofficial'
expected this or that. You can look at
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
and make your own 'unofficial' estimate of the date.

For many purposes, Etch is already in an entirely useable condition. Yours my be
one of those purposes. Look at the detailed lists of release critical bugs to
see if any of them impact your intended use.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net