Re: X Authentication Problem

David A. Parker wrote:
I have a MythTV box running Debian Sarge. Last night I had to reboot it, which has never caused a problem before, but now the "mythtv" user cannot authenticate with X and get access to display :0.0. I am using kdm and it usually logs the mythtv user in automatically when the X server starts, but now I get a bunch of these errors in /var/log/kdm.log:

AUDIT: Tue Mar 6 22:36:07 2007: 2830 X: client 1 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
AUDIT: Tue Mar 6 22:36:07 2007: 2830 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

I have Googled this problem and found several posts that said to delete the user's .Xauthority file, but this did not work. The next time I try to log in as "mythtv", it recreates the file but it is empty. I have also tried using xauth to generate a new file, but it does not work:

$ xauth generate :0 .
Xlib: No protocol specified

xauth: (argv):1:  unable to open display ":0".

Trying this as root gets the same error. My regular user account on the box is able to log in and use X just fine, so I tried copying my .Xauthority file to the mythtv user's home directory, but this did not work.

I don't believe this will be the problem, but I'd look at /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config, which probably should look like:
allowed_users=console
nice_value=-10

I would also try disabling kdm temporarily (sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop) and logging in as mythtv via "startx".

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>