Re: Suggestions about the Debian install process

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:34:17PM +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> Background: Installing Debian Testing with DVD 1 on a workstation.
>
> Why not install the following software by default?

Because Debian has a very minimal base install.  You can install all of
these packages yourself.  I will give specific why reasons why they are
not in the default.

> 1. Vim

nano is in the base install and is sufficient

> 2. Emacs

HUGE

> 3. Screen

not necessary in a base install

> 4. SSHD

bad idea to start network services without the admin asking you to

> Why not make the install disk also a live one? Ubuntu does this.

OK.  So go use Ubuntu.

Seriously, Ubuntu supports like two or three hardware architectures.
Debian supports like 13.  A live CD doesn't make sense on all of those
and probably isn't possible on others.

Regards,

-Roberto
--