A question about Apache & Debian

I have a question about the ServerLimit directive in Apache2. I have
my ServerLimit and MaxClients in my httpd.conf file set in excess of
256  for each value however I keep getting the following error each
time restarting Apache.

     WARNING: MaxClients of 500 exceeds ServerLimit value of 256 servers,
     lowering MaxClients to 256.  To increase, please see the ServerLimit
     directive.

I am sure I read somewhere that there is something in Debian (i.e.
some other configuration setting not related to Apache) that you need
to change in order to actually increase the limit of 256.

Can anyone help?
--
Regards
Justin Hartman